, Key Concepts/Phrases from Our Curriculum:
- Start process early and leave appropriate space cushion
- Space Cushion
- In-Motion: Maintain 1-car length for every 10mph of speed you're traveling
- Stopping: Watching the vehicle in front of you, keep the point where back tires make contact with the road in view, when stopping behind a car
- Smooth and Steady
- Don't try to keep up with other drivers
- "SMOG" Technique (Position Change)
- Signal, Mirrors, Over-Shoulder, Go
- Straight-Line Backing
- "Don't Kill Anybody"
- "How's my steering"
- Using rear door handle as steering guide along edge of blacktop
- 5-Pt Check with Right on Red
- Light and Signs (on approach)
- Light color
- "No right on Red" Sign?
- Yield Sign?
- Pedestrians (throughout process)
- Cross Traffic from Left
- Left Turn from Opposing Traffic
- U-Turn from right cross-traffic
- Proper Use of Bike Lanes and right turns
- Broken Line: Enter lane
- Solid Line: Do not cross
Licensing Process Overview
Try to set an easy tone. Your student will sense your energy, try to stay calm and do not over-correct the student.
Give directions early and clearly. Be specific and tell them where first. "At this upcoming light, turn right". (This may take some practice)
If a directional mistake is made go around the block and try again. Avoid any last-second or risky moves. Remember, it is a crawl, walk, run progression process.
Giving Driving Directions to a new driver